Monday 11 September 2017

New Things


A couple new things I wanted to share!

First, I've found a medical-themed website called You and Me that takes story submissions. The site takes articles and stories with a personal twist. I've decided to combine ideas from several blog posts I've written into a story about finding other adults with Joubert syndrome, and how that lead to things like the Youth and Adults Facebook group and the discussion groups I've lead at past conferences. If they accept, I could even get paid for it!

Next, I'm currently in the middle of switching service providers in order to help out my search for work. I'd been with one, Distinct Programmes, for a few years. The people there were friendly and fairly proactive, helping me get a few interviews and the placement I did last summer, but I just felt like a change. Another group, Live Work Play, was recommended to me. It's a fairly large organization that caters to adults with intellectual disabilities. While my disability is more developmental, a few of the organizations staff seem to think I would be a good fit and are interested in meeting me to discuss employment. Just waiting to get through some red tape, which is a pain...

I've also decided to join Live Work Play as a member. They do a lot within the city, the social opportunities couldn't hurt, and I could even try to get some advocacy out of it. Plus, they seem to organize a yearly trip down south. Can't really argue with that!

I'd be lying if I said the thought of doing all of these things didn't scare me, but for the sake of money, work, and getting out, I can easily suck it up.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment